Roman's Green Facts and Information
Roman is committed to caring for the environment and as a reflection of this commitment became fully accredited with ISO 14001 certification in 2009. The company has three core environmental objectives:
- Reduce energy consumed as a direct proportion of business activity.
- Increase the proportion of recycled waste.
- Assimilate and reduce any harmful emissions, discharges or pollutants generated by the business activity.
In line with these objectives we are continually looking for other ways to reduce the business impact on the environment. Our overall company CO2 reduction since 2009 is 20%.
- All waste is segregated into recyclables and non-recyclables. In order to minimise what would normally be sent to landfill we now endeavour to recycle anything that possibly can be.
- Due to our proactive approach, 93% of all waste is recycled - amount send to landfill has been reduced to 7% of total waste generated.
- We use methylene chloride in the manufacture of shower trays and now have the capability of re-using what would normally be hazardous waste by filtering all of the used chloride which in turn will be then continuously recycled back into the process.
- Wherever possible we will investigate the potential of new green technologies and equipment which could be used to reduce our carbon footprint. Currently projects we are investigating are:
- Investing £20,000 in new, factory wide, lighting factory system. This ‘smart’ lighting will automatically dim when it is bright outside to reduce energy used
- Adding solar panels to generate energy to run the factory
- All company vehicles are Euro 5 compliance engine vehicles which save 22% on emissions
- The company car policy has been reviewed so that only vehicles with less than 125 grammes of CO2’s per Kilometre can be used in the fleet. 5 vehicles purchased this year emit only 109 grammes/kilometre
- All company drivers have completed Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving (SAFED) to help them become fuel efficient drivers.
Product Components, Design and Packaging:
- Environmental responsibility begins at the design process. It is important that we evaluate the impact on the environment of the materials used during the design and development of new products. Wherever possible the design process will take into consideration materials that are environmentally friendly. As a further commitment within the ISO14001 policy we will endeavour to ensure the carbon footprint of all our products is kept to an absolute minimum.
- Only corrugated cardboard is used to pack products – the use of plastic wrappings has been completely eliminated
- All our moulds for shower trays and wetroom floors are made from Epoxy board which makes them completely recyclable thus eliminating the extensive use of materials used traditionally in mould making which would be much more difficult to re-cycle.
- During the selection of supply partners for raw materials used in the product the selection process is based around whether the supplier is environmentally conscious. We ask for the following details from suppliers as part of the tender process:
- A signed and dated copy of their Corporate Environmental Policy
- A list of the most significant environmental impacts of their production process
- Steps they have taken to reduce their environmental impact
- What they recover from their production process for recycling
- Recycled products their company purchases for use in production
- How they dispose of packaging, waste and surplus material
- What steps they have taken to improve environmental performance that year
- All brochures and marketing material are created on paper sourced from sustainable forests (FSC)
- Roman’s range of shower valves carry the Bathroom Manufacture’s water efficiency label
- Roman have developed a glass protection system, Ultra Care, which is designed to build up a barrier to protect bathroom surfaces from the build up of grime, limescale and stains. It acts as a gentle cleaner maintaining a protective barrier - meaning water glides off the glass with ease so you can eliminate the use of harsh chemicals in the bathroom.